Listen to me babble
Just a quick pointer to a podcast: I had the pleasure of recording a podcast with Tim Anderson for his series The Lion’s Share. The series is a great project, opening up the hood on media scholars’ processes of writing, teaching, and thinking about media. Tim & I talked about the impact of the economy on higher ed, my course on The Wire, and my research on TV narrative. I haven’t listened to it yet, in part due to time constraints and also just because listening to my own voice for an hour is a bit icky. But hopefully you, dear reader, will find it interesting and less icky.
There’s no transcript, but see the tags below for a preview of what content might be covered. And since a podcast doesn’t allow comments (yet), feel free to post responses, questions, accusations and the like in this thread. Enjoy!
Filed under: Media Studies, MediaCommons, Meta-blogging, Middlebury, Narrative, Teaching, Television | 1 Comment
Tags: Battlestar, podcast, The Wire
random thoughts from media scholar Jason Mittell
Check out my books:Complex TV: The Poetics of Contemporary Television Storytelling How To Watch Television Television & American Culture
Genre and Television: From Cop Shows to Cartoons in American Culture
Academia Books Complex TV Copyright Fair Use Fandom Film Genre MediaCommons Media Politics Media Studies Meta-blogging Middlebury Narrative New Media Not Quite TV Open Access Press Publishing Taste Teaching Technology Television TV Industry TV Shows TV Textbook Vermont Videogames Videographic Criticism Viewers
- RT @danielpunkass: Make facing a town hall crowd as uncomfortable for GOP Senators as they make facing a public restroom for trans people. 17 hours ago
- RT @katelaity: This whole thread twitter.com/smartassjen/st… 21 hours ago
- RT @longwall26: One thing I will say about [literally any topic] is that [self-praise indicative of deep emotional damage inflicted by indi… 21 hours ago
- RT @daveweigel: Honestly the funniest 2018 result would be: Dems win the majority based on suburbs after reporters spend two years canvassi… 21 hours ago
- Took advantage of son's school break to catch great new Lego movie, aka BOJACK BATMAN. 1 day ago
- A Preamble for Teaching Media during the Trump Administration
- Learn Videographic Criticism – at Middlebury and on the road!
- Specifications Grading for a New Course
- Return to Specifications Grading
- Announcing Two Additional Videographic Criticism Workshops!
- Mind the Gap: Brief Thoughts on Seriality from Berlin
- Institutionalizing Open Access
- The Videographic Essay: A New Book
- ADAPTATION.’s Anomalies: A New Video Essay
- First Update on My Specifications Grading Experiment